Labels

 

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Big Al's Texas BBQ

Its been a long time since I've had good BBQ, and it looks like Ive still got some time to go. Located on South University Ave, its got a fun, atmosphere, (flannel looking table cloth, guys with 10-gallon hats, ya know). It was ok.  It kind of demonstrated a similar trend that I've seen in other restaurants around here where the work "authentic" is thrown around, in this case: Texas BBQ, but they don't quite hit the mark in the food.
Food:
I got a beef brisket sandwich. After watching an episode of Man-vs-Food, he did a report on some southern restaurant, and the chef opened up his smoker and pulled out a beef brisket, cut it up, and it looked like it was just EXPLODING with juice and flavor. Sadly, I experienced neither of those in the sandwhich. After dousing my sandwhich with sauce, I still felt the need to dip it in my friend's sauce for more moisture and flavor.

The big redeeming quality; however, were the sides. They had some great sweet corn that had almost a pasta texture, Macaroni and cheese, coleslaw--which joyfully was far removed in taste from KFC's coleslaw, potatoes, and a bunch more. Those were good, no question there.

Pricing:
You can spend a few bucks for some sides for about $3 - $5
Sandwiches can be between $6 and $8
If you're really hungry, you can get the meat plates for $12 to $25
I got a sandwich with two sides and walked out only spending about $9

Overall:
It was alright. If you just want a snack, go there and just get some sides. The big positive is that you at least wont leave hungry (if you're fine with paying a little more for it). Who knows, maybe the ribs or pulled pork (tough to mess that up) are better, but after my experience, I don't see myself going back there.






Big Al's Texas BBQ on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you should check out 5 Star BBQ on Geneva. I'm from TX and have searched long and hard for good brisket and those guys have come the closest, but their sides lack...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ate there once. We ordered one of the sampler plates so that we could try everything. I found that the best thing they had was the turkey and I am not a turkey fan at all. Needless to say we have not been back either.
    It was not bad food but for the price it was not great either! I would much rather go to Dickies!

    ReplyDelete