Labels

 

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Guru's

It really doesn't fit the Provo mold, but somehow it has established itself here and has done really well. If you've never been there, at least I'm sure that you've heard about it. Located just East of University on Center street, Guru's attracts a broad crowd being somewhat chic, but also one of the few places that the hippies can eat and still feel good about themselves. First thing that Guru's does well: vegetables own a prominent place on the menu. Sometimes, I will be totally sick and tired of all the meat and potatoes and seriously just crave veggies. If that's so, Guru's is my go to place. Even though they have an amazing breakfast (cowboy benny, seriously worth waking up early for) I'm going to focus on the lunch/dinner stuff.





Food:
When Ash and I go there, we usually get Marco Polo pasta. It is a really down to earth, just plain ol' good pasta. With its creamy base, linguine, and tons of vegetables, it is a great cross between self indulgence and healthy responsibility.

Guru's Guru pasta


But lets get real. The pasta, though it is fantastic, is more to justify our buying the sweet potato fries. For the life of me, I dont know why they are called sweet potato fries when they are actually yams (sweet potatoes are yellow, yams orange) but either way, Guru's sweet potato fries are the best fries that I have had anywhere. This includes Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Salt Lake, anywhere. Battered in goodness, they're worth the trip downtown even without a meal to go with it. They are crunchy, savory, light, easier-to-justify-as-healthy-than-normal-fries, and always leave you satisfied.

guru's fries gurus

Price:
Sides range from $3 - $6 
Main range from $9 to $15 depending on what it is and half/full size

Overall:
Highly recommended.
I feel like Guru's is just so different than any other restaurant in town. It has food that actually cant be found elsewhere, that is unique, and actually really good. It has kind of an Eastern influence, so the some dishes are a little spicier, but there is seriously a plate in there for anyone. I wouldn't necessarily go there on a formal date, but for some casual good food, Guru's wont let you down.



Guru's Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ian, this is "Sam-Brad." I appreciate the pursuit of your blog and I trust your judgment in the food department. However, I had to comment that I don't think Guru's ultimately has the best sweet potato/yam fries. I personally like the ones served at Smoking Apple Barbeque in Lindon. If you happen to go there to challenge Guru's fries, you might also want to get the ribs--I've never had a qualm with them. Can't wait to read more posts :)

    ReplyDelete