Labels

 

Friday, June 22, 2012

Portland

I know this is a blog about Provo food, but I just wanted to share how amazing the culinary scene can be elsewhere. Ash and I went to Portland last week. That town is absolutely amazing. Some dub it as "the city that never stops eating". With thousands and thousands (yes and even more thousands) of restaurants, food carts, breweries, food shops, it is my favorite place to go for food. This is less of a review and more of a report.

Nicola's

Peach Drink

Grape Leaves with Tzatziki

Marinated Beef with Tzatziki and Saffron rice

(It's Ash here..I snuck into the blog!! SHHHH don't tell Ian!! muahah! I thought I would add a few words about these places cause they mean a whole lot to me! I actually went to college in Portland, OR for 4 years and man, did I eat out! My friends and I would try tons of places on the weekends and that is how I achieved my "foodie" award. I really wish there was an award for that! Anyway, the restaurant above is literally a hole-in-the-wall. People wait up to an hour to sit and eat there. My friend, who is Lebanese, introduced me to this Lebanese restaurant my second year in school and I would leave it up to him to know the best place with the most authentic food for that region. I pretty much had to go there at least once-a-month to get my fixins'. It's delicious and beyond addicting. I have taken many out-of-town family and friends, everyone one of them walks out with the biggest smile! So, if you end up in Portland, it is a must go to place! FYI..at the beginning of the meal they bring out a huge pita for you to eat off of!)

The Mac' and Cheesery

Cesar Salad

"The Truffle"

"4 Cheese"

(Ash again: We had never been to this place before. Looked great...but it was not so great. I don't recommend this place. I had to get the gluten-free mac and cheese which pretty much tasted like cardboard. Ian's truffle dish was really overwhelmingly truffled, to the point that it was not edible. Darn anyway! At least we tried a new place! P.S. it is on Mississippi, just so you are aware if you ever try not looking for it...) 

Ruby Jewel 


Salted Caramel Chocolate Ice Cream


(Ash: And you thought ice cream makes the world go round. Well, how about hand-made, all natural ice cream! Ya, that will DEFINITELY make my world a happy place! One of my best Portland friends scoped this place out a little while before we had come to visit. I am soooo glad we stopped there. It was a happenin' and very busy ice cream joint! I loved the feel in there. Those people scoopin' the ice cream were proud of their product and knew you would be a happy customer after doing a few taste tests! You see that Salted Caramel Choco Ice Cream up there in the pic...come on, who can resist that!! They had some wild flavors such as honey and lavendar! Such a fun "foodie" experience. 
P.S. if you are on Mississippi then DO find this place and ENJOY!!) 

Flavour-Food Cart

Sausage Maple Butter Waffle


(Ash: "Flavour" or known to the University of Portland students at "The Waffle Man." I have been going to Mr. Waffle Man for as long as I can remember and I have NEVER been disappointed. This food cart is the only one on the corner. It is on Lombard St., and not the easiest to find, except for all the commotion happening during eating hours! Who can resist a Gouda and Ham Waffle or a Sweet Cream and Jam! Get anything there and you will walk away with a full tummy off of a $3.50 deal (or something around that price). And that is why I love food carts..the price..quality...and excellence of food is unbeatable! Just know that when you head to Portland and wake up that first morning, YOU WILL head to Waffle Man, or else your day will be a little less satisfying!) 

Down Town Greek Food Cart


(Ash: Ever been downtown Portland?! And you feel like you are in the middle of the mecca of food-carts, 1,000 options of any type of food you want! Well that is how I felt when I went to go find Ian and I lunch! I believe this cart was around the 2nd street carts. Within that pile of food-carts there were the following options: Egyptian, Lebanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Indian, American, Italian, Mexican, Greek and probably some others I am missing. If you can't find something within that two block radius, then I don't know what to tell you! This Greek place (only one in that area) was really good! We had to wait a while for our food, which can make it all the more delicious when you are starving, but really, it was good! I traveled around Greece back in my college years and this took me straight back to the gyro joint in Athens that I loved. Get the Greek Fries when you go! Too good not to have. Ian loved his Gyro and I loved my Greek Salad!) 

Toro Bravo











(Ash: You ask anyone in Portland where there favorite tapas bar/restaurant is and you will get one answer: Toro Bravo. I lived in Spain for 5 months on a study-abroad program and this food was spanish tapas on steroids. No joke! Spanish food can be kind of bland, not overly exciting except for Paella. Well, Toro Bravo took it to a whole new level! They added some flare and excitement and flavors that make you begging for another tapa. Our friends joined us, and one of them is a big "yelper" and "tripadvisor" reviewer. He liked to check every review before we went to a restaurant. Let's just say my friend couldn't find a flaw in the reviews! It is on Russel St. off of Martin Luther King in NE. Trick is, you have to get there about 15-20 minutes before it opens or else you will be waiting for over an hour to eat there! But the wait is worth it...) 

Kings Bakery



(Ash: Kings Bakery is so cute! Really it is! It is on Alberta Street which is just another place to find awesome food in Portland. I found out a month ago that I am gluten-intolerant, ya I know, a gluten free foodie is a huge disappointment. None the less, I have been seeking out some great places! One of which is this place. They have some really delicious, gluten free options. Just a few, but hey, I give a bakery a credit for doing a few. That nice little, choco, morsel above is NOT gluten free but way too delicious..and I payed the price!) 

King Estate Winery, Eugene OR


(Ash: Our main purpose for going to Portland was because my brother graduated from University of Oregon in Eugene this last weekend (GOOOO DUCKS!). We are HUGE Duck fans..just look at my car and you will not be mistaken that I am a true Oregonian Duck Fan. If you know anything about Eugene, you know it is a college town with some good food options but not a ton. Your typical bars, restaurants etc.. But about 30 minutes outside of town is this gorgeous winery. WOW! Seriously gorgeous! Breath taking..get the picture. Of course, the whole place is sustainable, run off solar energy, all those good things in life that I want to strive for. So I give them even more credit for their work. We are not alcoholic beverage consumers but what I can tell you is that it was a good meal. Not the best, but it was still really good! And that cheese plate is making me salivate. So if you are driving through Oregon, want to see a beautiful view of a winery and enjoy some cheese..then this is the place! All 18 guests that joined us that evening left very satisfied with their meals. A job well done!) 

-Well my foodie friends, I must post this asap and sneak away! Hope you enjoy these reviews! Maybe I convinced you that you must visit Portland asap?! I hope so because beyond those great food options, the city itself is gorgeous and so fun! Maybe I will come pop-up again on here in the future! Till then...keep eating lots of great food!

2 comments:

  1. You've got to try The Screen Door in Portland - delicious! Their fried chicken is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That place IS delicious it didn't make the cut this time around though. But Next time its definitely on the itinerary.

      Delete